Bring These Important Documents to Your Tax Preparer


When tax season rolls around, it is time to start gathering your financial records and make an appointment with your tax preparer. Here are some documents to make sure you bring with you when getting your taxes filed by a professional.

Income Documents

The first type of documents you need to bring to a tax preparer or accountant is any documents related to your income. If you have a regular payroll job, this is likely your W-2 forms. There are also other forms needed if you are self-employed or unemployed. Bring along other documents that state other money or compensation you have received, such as cash and dividends, lottery or gambling winnings, home foreclosure payments, selling stocks or bonds, or any canceled debts. Give the accountant a call if you have questions about other forms they might need to review.

Forms Sent From the IRS

If you have received any forms or documents directly from the IRS, make sure you bring those as well. There are many different types of documents you may get from the IRS, from forms mentioning past taxes you have yet to pay, to IRS documents they need copies of. Regardless of what the forms mention, you should bring them to the tax preparer or accountant so they can review them and consider the information when filing the current year's taxes.

Receipts and Deductions

Whether you are having personal or business taxes filed, you will likely have some deductions to claim on your taxes. Your accountant or tax preparer will need proof of these deductions, often in the form of receipts. Both in-store purchases and online purchases have receipts you can use to show the deductions. If you are deducting a home you purchased, donations you made, or claiming your children as dependents, include their documentation as well. For business expenses like utilities, rental space, and gas while meeting clients, have receipts to back these deductions up.

Documents Related to Expenses

Aside from traditional deductions, you might also have other expenses with documentation and forms that need to be filled out. For example, if you are claiming a donated vehicle or student loan, there are separate tax forms for each of these that must be filled out and brought to your tax preparer. You will also have another form for your higher education tuition, bond tax credit, and mortgage interest. Your accountant can provide information about these forms if you forget to bring them with you.

For more information, contact local accounting services


19 February 2016

Attractive Figures: The Beauty Of Effective Accounting Methods

Hi, everyone. Nancy here. I am currently studying for my degree in mathematics. As part of the “maths in the workplace” component of my degree, I am doing an internship with an auditing firm. Of course, getting to apply maths in a practical setting has been an absolute joy, but there have been a number of frustrations too. It has been a real eye-opener to see how many businesses have a haphazard approach to accounting and book-keeping. One of the jobs the auditing firm undertakes is to recommend improved accounting practices. A number of businesses which have hired professional accountants since the last audit have definitely thrived! I hope this blog captures the beauty of applying mathematical principles to business and using tried and true accounting methods. I trust my entries add up properly to give you an equal share of information and inspiration. Thank you.